Taking your martial arts training home is different from practicing in a dojo. While you won’t have all the equipment you need to maximize your training or be able to spar and train with your peers, creating your own martial arts studio at home is a very compelling option, and it’s not that difficult to do. Here are some tips to help you bring your practice home.
The skilled instructors at AmeriKick Martial Arts can help you and your children achieve your martial arts goals in a fun and welcoming environment. Call (609) 883-6000 to learn more!
Benefits of Martial Arts
- Practicing martial arts can help children, especially those who think differently. Martial arts help with concentration and self-esteem.
- Help your child to practice karate at home to improve their motor functions, coordination, strength, and social skills.
How to Create the Perfect Space
- Choose a space that works for you. Usually the garage is a good fit, but the basement is better for temperature control year-round.
- If you’re not using your garage, you might consider converting it into a room and adding heating/cool. This will be pricey, though.
- Look for the best martial arts mats. Practicing on mats will cushion your falls and keep you safe.
- Creating the perfect space for martial arts in your home can even bolster your home’s appraisal value if you create a multifunctional space.
What Gear Should You Get
- Choose the gear that is right for you.
- For strength and conditioning, you can get battle ropes, free weights, kettlebells, punch bags, a speed ball, a swiss ball, and a slam man dummy.
- Think about safety gear if you will be sparring with someone else.
- Consider your training style and find the right punching bag for your purpose.
- Purchase a monitor and soundbars with surround sound to enjoy martial arts instructional videos.
It goes without saying that having your own at-home martial arts studio is a great way to keep yourself (and your kids) active and keep up with the training you’re received from your instructors. It’s as easy as seeing your home’s potential and investing in the right gear. So, what are you waiting for?